Thursday, March 29, 2012

Clark's Superman Baby Room

Hi everybody, I'm new...

I thought it would be fun to start a blog, if for nothing else, to get these pictures of our babies new nursery room up online. I tried to find this type of thing forever while I was pregnant with our son, and came up with these ideas on my own after no luck with finding anything online. I hope you like it. :)

So, let's start with the crib. We were so lucky to get this from my sister in law and brother. We wanted to refurnish a crib to fit into what we had in mind for the nursery so we started out sanding them, repainting with two coats of white paint, then two of red, then we finished it off with a clear gloss (don't worry I called the manufactures and they all said that the paint we used was safe for this before we bought it.) Then finally we sanded over the edges of each edge to give it a barn-type of look, and voila!





Then came the fortress of solitude. This proved to be the most difficult task. We wanted it to transition the walls so the colors would blend better, but we didn't realize what a project we were taking on. With my familly's artistic ability (believe me, I don't have any of that, I either married into it with my sister in law, or my brother received all the artistic ability) and about 4 rolls of blue tape and about 40+ man hours of going over and re-going over the mind-boggle that was this fortress puzzle we finally came out with an awesome painting!

Before, with tape:

Close up after:






Then we got some carboard letters from Hobby Lobby and some comics from Hastings and cut up some comics of superman as a kid or at least a teenager and modge-podged them to the letters and put action figures between each of the letters. (I know, I know, Thor is Marvel... Where we live there are limited supplies of DC action figures, let alone Superman ones.)


Here's a close up of one ^

Though you can't really see it in these pictures the red, blue, and yellow move into the corners of the walls and into the next wall, making it look more like superman's symbol on his chest. This Superman isn't a drawing or a fathead. It's a poster that we bought from a local store instead of watching it needlessly getting thrown out after the Halloween season was over.


Here is a blanket that I made with my amazing mother in law. Just got the fabric from the store and looked up some baby blankets on pinterest and came up with this:


This is what the fortress and the crib look like together. You can't really see it in this photo but in the middle we put a crystal type of glitter so when you turn on the light the middle shines, it really looks cool!

There it is. Hope you like it. Please let me know what you think and if I'm doing this blogging thing right. I would love to know if anybody sees this. :)

7 comments:

  1. I love this room and I love that you're blogging! Good for you! It's a great way to record all the little ins and outs of daily life with a baby. You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome room I did a Superman nursery too. But not as cool as yours........

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    Just curious what color you painted the other walls. I am thinking of a comic book nursery for our baby boy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did red, blue, and yellow on the walls :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We want to do the comic book letters just as you have shown. Can you give more detail on what exactly you ordered from Hastings and what is the website for Hastings. We absolutely love this idea and cannot wait to get our room started. Thank you in advance for your help Jessica.

    ReplyDelete